Explore beautiful areas of the Arusha National Park rarely visited while on safari. You will receive the ultimate wilderness experience as well as uncover a wealth of history.
Described by Sir Julian Huxley as “a gem amongst parks”, Arusha National Park is Tanzania’s smallest but most beautiful park in Tanzania’s northern circuit. It consists of three spectacular features, the Momella Lakes, Mount Meru and the Ngurudoto Crater. Cycling in Arusha National Park is a fun and thrilling way to experience this magnificent park, often overlooked by safari goers, despite offering the opportunity to explore a captivating diversity of habitats within a few hours.
This tour lets you explore beautiful areas of the park rarely visited while on safari hence giving you the ultimate wilderness experience. Apart from the wildlife and scenery there is a wealth of history you will uncover from this tour including the history of the park and the early missionaries who used to live in this area.
In order to ensure your complete safety and comfort, you will be accompanied with an armed ranger and support vehicle(s) throughout your tour. Whenever you get tired you can just hop off your bike and onto the support vehicle. Come explore one of Tanzania’s most beautiful parks with us.
• We will meet up at the Arusha National Park (Momella Gate) at 0900hrs where our tour will begin. Your bike ride starts off with a gradual ascent as you head south of the park along the main dirt road. Along the sides of the roads you will cycle past families of baboons and blue monkeys.
• After cycling for about 2km we will take a 1km detour towards the Resthouse near Margarete Trappe’s grave. Margarete Trappe also known as the “Iron Lady” was one of the early missionaries who lived in the area and was regarded as Africa’s greatest huntress. Here you will get a brief explanation about the history of Margarete and her impact on the area before continuing with your ride.
• After riding on the main road for about 5km you will turn right and enter the Kilinga Loop. This loop which spans 7.3km traverses the thick lush forest. Due to the canopy cover, the path will be muddy on some sections hence making it the most challenging but fun to ride section of the tour.
• After completing the Kilinga loop you will continue cycling gradually downhill along the main dirt road for about 3km towards the Ngongongare gate where you tour ends.
Tour Summary ;
Start / Meeting Point: Arusha National Park - Momella Gate
End / Departure Point: Arusha National Park - Ngongongare Gate
*For those opting for the more challenging option, you will start from the Ngongongare Gate and end up at the Momella Gate
Duration: 5 to 7 hours
Path: Dirt road with muddy sections
Total Distance: 20km
|Number of People .||Price Per Person|
- TREK Mountain Hardtail 4300 & Merida Matts 20-D Hardtail Mountain Bikes
- Support Vehicle(s)
- English speaking cycling guide
- All meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- Bottled mineral water for participants
- Packed Lunch
- Armed Park Ranger
- Arusha National Park fees & cycling fees ($53 + $59 respectively including 18% VAT)
- Visa fee; $100 per person for US Nationals and $50 per person for other Country Nationals
- Add-on tours & activities